Saturday, June 11, 2011

A Lesson in Lessons.

Me: Which president was the first president born in a hospital? A. Abraham Lincoln, B. Jimmy Carter, C. Barack Obama or D. George Bush, Sr.
Student: Nick Carter.
Me: Whose ashes are located in a lake in California? A. Gandhi, B. Martin Luther King, Jr. C. Abraham Lincoln or D. Marilyn Monroe?
Same student: Marilyn Manson.


Oh, goodness.
---

Well, it looks like my teaching career is over (at least for the moment - I have no idea what I'll be doing in 3 years...). I really, really enjoyed myself and I think, most of the time, the students did too! But I thought it would be interesting to highlight some of the lessons I taught, for old time's sake. These are the ones that I enjoyed and/or I thought the students liked. I may be completely wrong about that.
  • Native Americans and whaling in the Makah tribe
  • American government system
  • Seattle (especially tourism in Seattle)
  • Globalization 
  • Idioms!
  • Fun facts about America (followed by fun facts about Austria, which I loooved)
  • Debates on nuclear energy
  • Nutrition aka Americans aren't all fat
  • Slang/Rap music in America
  • Jobs/Job interviews (someday knowing how to interview for a garbage man position could come in handy, right?)

And what about some that did not go so well?
  • Facebook (tried to create a wall-to-wall... it was weird)
  • Diner Talk! (Adam and Eve = spare ribs,etc)
  • Political parties in America (if it's not Obama, they don't care.)

1 comment: