Thursday, July 22, 2010

And so it begins...

Hmm. Well, after having blogger for almost a year, I suppose it's time to actually utilize it. I've been on livejournal for all of 8 years but am going to make the switch! This blog is essentially about me going to Austria to teach the academic year from 2010-2011, but we'll see what else happens.

Regarding Austria, I bought my ticket! Finally! 2 months and 4 days from now, I'll be jetting off into the sunrise and into Vienna! I'm nervous still, but two months seems like plenty of time to do everything I need to do. I've talked to my coordinating teacher a bit, who speaks perfect English (surprising, since she's an English teacher... bah). Classes are about 20 kids, and they kids will be 14ish. So it should be interesting, I think I get along better with younger kids but it will be fun to try this and see how it goes!

In other news, I'm trying to save up money for this trip by nannying this summer! The kids are great, 4 little French kids (2 boys, 7 and 9, and 2 twin 5 year old girls). They're a riot, really. Today, for example, I walked in on Daphne and Alize in the bathroom (door was open - not my fault), and Daphne says "Do you want to see my.... poop!?" No, my dear, I do not, but man am I glad you're so strange. It's exciting to watch them learn things (the girls are learning letters, the boys are learning mathy things) and play with them and sing terrible terrible pop music with them. All-in-all it's a good time.

I guess the most stressful part about this all is fighting that sense of urgency, like I will never be here again. And, I guess it's partly true... never again will I be here in this house so close to the University of Portland and so close to everyone I've known for 3+ years, but life changes and it's scary but exciting! I often feel so happy and complete in this city. I mean, I'm a weird girl... or at least, a child at heart. But I feel so comfortable here being myself, no matter who I want to be. I fear that doesn't exist in Vienna, doesn't exist without the positive people in my life now, and won't be here when I get back, but I guess that's the "leap of faith" - a trust in myself that I can be successful anywhere I go! Ahhh it'll be crazy, but I'm excited.

Welp. It's time to start learning German again.... ahhhh.

No comments:

Post a Comment